Obesity is an excessive fat accumulation in human body. Normally, fat should be 25%-30% in women and 18%-23% in men. In contrast, women with over 30% body fat and men with over 25% body fat are considered obese. In humans, certain amounts of fat are necessary to store energy, heat insulation, shock absorption and other functions.
Obesity patients are at higher risk of suffering diseases like high blood pressure, heart attack, stroke, diabetes, gallbladder disease, and different cancers. The probable cause of obesity is consuming excess calories.
- Breathing disorders like sleep apnea and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
- Cancers like prostate and bowel cancer in men, breast and uterine cancer in women.
- Coronary heart disease.
- Gallbladder or liver diseases.
- Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease (GERD).
- High blood pressure.
- High cholesterol.
- Joint disease like osteoarthritis.
Natural treatments and recommendations
- Go to walk for at least 30 minutes to an hour in the morning.
- Take a drink of lime juice (half a lemon with lukewarm water) early in the morning.
- Have a breakfast containing sprouts or wheat, a cup of carrot juice or pineapple or orange juice as a mid-morning drink.
- Take lunch containing a salad comprising raw or steamed vegetables like beetroot, cucumber, tomatoes, carrot and cabbage with wheat chapattis or brown bread.
- Make a mixture of two teaspoons of lime juice, in a glass of water, add some pepper to it and take it regularly.
- Instead of eating only 2 meals during the day like lunch and dinner, try to take 4-5 more small mini-meals spaced 2-3 hours apart during the day.
- Drink a glass of boiled water daily after every meal.
- Add spices like ginger, cinnamon and black pepper to your foods.
- Drink ginger tea 2-3 times a day.
- Take generous quantities of fruits, vegetables and low calorie foods.
- Avoid intake of too much salt as it may be a factor for increasing body weight.
- Shudh Guggulu is very beneficial for curing this ailment. It helps to regulate the lipid metabolism. Take a teaspoon of guggul with ginger, twice a day.
- Add two teaspoons of lime juice into a glass of water and take it frequently.
- Take salads and vegetables with mint while eating.
- Take Triphala, an herbal combination of amalaki, bibbitaki, and haritaki.
- Raw or cooked cabbage inhibits the conversion of sugar and other carbohydrates into fat. So, it adds great value in weight reduction.
- Exercise regularly.
- Take healthy foods, specially greens and fruits.
- Avoid high calories foods like chocolates, ice cream, sweets, butter and heavily refined foods.
- Eat at least three regular meals a day. Don't skip any meal.
- Monitor your weight regularly.
Insert date: 2011.12.03 Last update: 2011.12.13